3/3/10

Day 86: Paint clean up

It was fun to come to the shop this morning and check out the paint job.

A giant bee decided to sign its initials in my clear coat... its a pretty large and deep pattern so I'm not sure if I'll be able to buff it out.  At least it looks like a giant "n".  I'll claim it as my initial as the poor bee did not make it.

Peeled the tape off the gunwale.

It will be some work getting the gunwale sanded and varnished!

Speaking of lots of work, its was indeed, to clean up after painting.  Lots of waste from all the tape, containers, plastic and paper tarps and blocking.  Kind of a bummer to create all that garbage.
When I peeled off the tape I also peeled off a small piece of the paint job.  In this pick the flaw is next to the transom gunwale block on the left.

I'll have to test my spot repair skills.
Cut some commercial name plates out of spare 1/4" ply.  Hopefully I made them long enough for trips with "Sundog Expeditions".

This is a pic of them with the fairing just applied.
Shaped oar #3.

Also, filled flaws on the last two oars with epoxy.

I wanted to paint the bottom of the hull today, but was worried that the clear needed to cure a little more before I put tape on it.  Patience.

6 comments:

  1. Stunning! What an incredible job you've done on this.

    Don't sweat the little flaws and divits--you're the only one who'll ever notice them, and after a few dozen trips they'll have plenty of company! Remember--they're work boats, not pianos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    The painting was a bit stressful but the rest has been a joy. I'm really looking forward to getting the Zizumara into the current!

    I owe you some beers BTW. I put Mary W. in charge. Hope you here from her soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take you up on the beers. But Mary is chained to her computer so I may have to wait a bit.

    Where is the maiden voyage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh. I had a feeling... Do I dare put MacIntosh on it.

    The maiden voyage is scheduled for early april on the San Juan, hope the water level is o kay. If not The Grand Ronde in May might be the one.

    My friends and family are getting together end of march to christen it. We''ll plop it into Elliot Bay here in Seattle to see if it floats.

    Does the Euphrates have a trip its working towards?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macintosh would enjoy the beer if not the mission to deliver it!

    If you do go for the San Juan, I can put you in touch with my buddy Tim Cooper who ran a couple Briggs through Government last summer at about 1000. He's an old doryhead and could tell you how they did it. But your snowpack and long range forecast both look really good.

    Euphrates and Lodore are both scheduled to run Grand Canyon in August with AzRA. I'll be rowing my ancient Briggs, Dan and Dennis will be in Euphrates and Lodore. It'll be wild pulling off from Lees Ferry with so many of my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so cool Azra is running dories now! I asked one of the owners if they'd ever think of getting dories, they said; they'd like to but were very hesitant after they lost their one and only dory in badger rapid. Tough.

    Way to convince them!

    ReplyDelete