3/2/10

Day 85: Base Coat/Clear Coat

Today was an exiting day.  I could hardly sleep the previous night in anticipation.
I wasn't sure if I had the skills or the equipment to paint the boat.  Turns out, I really don't... but I faked it pretty well.
Ready to paint the stripe.
The blue was looking good at 3 coats.
The pin stripe coming to life.
Masked for the hull color.
The orange was looking okay at 4 coats.  I laid a 5th and it looked significantly better.  The grey primer was a little too dark for the orange.
Peeling off the tape was like tearing open a christmas present at age 4.
Bow with just the base coat.

I wasn't sure how to end the stripe... I had all kinds of fun ideas but this was the only one I could actually pull off.
Clear coated.

Next step will be to roll on the bottom paint.

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty fun to watch from afar. I'm tickled to be a teeny part of it with goofy ideas from the big ditch. The diminishing stripe looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/02/2010

    I would even go a couple steps above Brad and say that it looks really good! Your boat looks so great. Such a cool feeling to finally see it painted! I'm excited to see pics after you have peeled of the masking from the gunwales, it'll really "pop"!

    corey

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big thanks to you both. Its been so fun to share ideas across the cloud.

    I think the strip ended up being about 6.25" at the transom and about 9" at the bow.

    Corey, good luck in the Grand with beautiful Irie!

    ReplyDelete