3/10/10

Day 91: Varnish

I came home smelling like turpentine... much better than the isocyanates of the hull paint!

Cleaned up the shop in the AM then went to it with the varnish.

Turns out I had been using the wrong thinner.  So now that I have the right combo, things are looking really good.
The oars and gunwale got a highly thinned rub with the varnish/turpentine mixture.   Used a rag to apply it and it worked great.  Goes on real fast too.

The other ash pieces got a very lightly thinned mix applied and they are looking nice.  The varnish brushes on 100% better thinned with turpentine  compared to the laquer thinner mix.

Its tough getting the inside of the gunwale varnished!  Havn't figured it out yet.
The camp table got a coat of primer on one side.
Hx: Here is a pic of the deck texture I used.  I eventually ran out of this product so "Trex" was used in the footwells.

No comments:

Post a Comment