3/28/10

Day 105: The launch!

So happy!

Just loaded the boat on the trailer, and on my way to the launch.
Stopped at home to pic up my brother and got to show off the boat to the neighbors and my cousin Sarah and family.
Me & the Zizumara
Pete & I
We headed to the launch site and went across the road to the Alki Tavern for a little pre-launch celebration.  Met some fellow boat builders there and set the stage for a fun time.

The gang begins to gather for the launch.

....Actual launch pictures are coming!  I was so excited I didn't take a single shot.  My brother however has the professional documentation. Stay tuned...
The christening and launch went smoothly and we had a great time in the Seattle sunshine.  We rowed around Elliot Bay and then moved on to Salty's restaurant to party.

My Mom made it all happen.  Great food, drinks, people and stories.  We had pics of the build playing in the background and a grey whale spouted in front of the dock where we were celebrating.
The next day my Mom & I went out for a morning row before breakfast.  Got to really take it for a spin and test it out.  Its really sweet!!
The bow of the Zizumara with Seattle in the background.
Mom pushes on the oars.
The Zizumara got a wash down from a rain squall that hit just as we pulled her out of the bay.  The spring flowers welcomed her into life as a boat.

Back on the trailer and ready for the ride home.

An experience to always remember.



3 comments:

  1. Congrats! A fine looking boat. Looks like the oar leathers came out well.

    I got some of those SeaDog bow eyes from the Fisheries supply place. Thanks for the tip.

    Just got back from a Salt River trip and the Guide Training Seminar. Saw Mary Williams who is mumbling something about that case of beer. It may show up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting the oar leathers on was a really fun project, though, my hands smell terrible from the sinew lacing. I can't wait paint on the wax. Thanks for the tips!! I tried to replicate your instructions. The contact cement seems like a great call.

    Glad the bow eyes are working out:)

    Psyched to hear about your Salt trip. Its on my to do list. How was your water level? Maybe one of these years I'll make it to the GTS its high on my to do list as well. Did you do any talks there? ...hmm. Maybe Mary is thinking beer is more refreshing on warm days and is waiting until summer... Or maybe Chris drank it already. I'll just have to bring some by in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt was one- to two-thousand--sweet and easy. GTS was big fun. My talk was about the evolution of whitewater hulls. I'm told it went well, though I have no idea what I said.

    I'll look forward to that meeting--and the beer.

    I must have gotten sanitized sinew--don't remember a smell associated with it. Be sure to get stinking hot paraffin impregnated fully into those leathers before you row much at all, or the locks will eat the leather.

    Funny thing--On the Salt last week, at the GTS on the weekend, and in my driveway this morning, I've run into folks who have been reading my Wooden Boat People Blog. Small world! Better get some new posts ready.

    Looks like the launch festivities were big fun!

    ReplyDelete