3/14/10

Day 94: Latch Catches

The catches for the southco latches were set with epoxy glue.

The last of the hatch lids were fit.

A thin layer of epoxy was brushed over areas on the gutter that had raw wood exposed.

This is my secret weapon for hatch fitting.  I learned this technique from a boot fitter in Montana.

I apply the lip stick along the edges that I suspect are too tight, then lower the hatch lid... the areas that are hitting get marked with red lipstick.
Bow eye was put in place.
Stern eye.  The hardware is steel though it looks brass in the pic.
Made a little accessory I stole from Gregg on Wooden Boat People Forum.  The oar handles fit though the holes to help stabilize an oar tripod.  I'm thinking it might be a nice set up for a shower.

Also got the table painted and drilled holes for the hinge.
When I got to the shop, the handrail fairy had come.  My Dad had dropped off these nice pieces of ash for me to varnish. There are two small rails that will be installed next to the boatman's seat.

Oars are on round 4 of varnish.

I went back to the rag method of application.
Gunwales are on round #4.

3 comments:

  1. I just keep saying wow at what nice work you're doing on the boat. I hope to se her afloat someday, somewhere. I like the lipstick trip--we'll be using that soon.

    Where did you get those nice bow/stern eyes? I like the look of them.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..Lipstick trick, glad I can contribute :)

    The boweyes are made by "Seadog" They were purchased from Fisheries Supply here in Seattle. I know they have a webstore too.

    Forever jealous of your shop winch...
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes trick, not trip.My fingers have a mind of their own.

    Thanks--I will find those boweyes.

    Ahh, that winch does incite a lot of lust. It makes me giggle every time I use it. Just used it to load a fully rigged raft onto the top of another raft on my friend's trailer--heading down the Salt River Saturday with a bunch of old doryheads on a steep, bony river that dories don't like.

    That boat sure is looking snappy! Great work-

    Brad

    ReplyDelete