2/28/10

Day 83: Spraying Primer 2.2

Coat #1 was shiny and smooth. I hit it down with 400 just to make sure coat #2 adhered.  Probably took about 10 minutes to sand and about 45 minutes to clean up for the 2nd coat.
Coat #2 went on like coat #1.  You can see some striping in the paint here.  I was going a little too fast and the stripe is due to less paint.

Afterwards, I got the air in the shop refreshed and turned the heat back on, hoping to get things warmed up for coat #3.
Escaped to the truck for some lunch.  It was pouring down rain.
I had Kleo in the truck to keep me company today.  There was a tsunami advisory due to the earthquake in Chile so I didn't want to leave her at her beachside abode.  She came up the hill with me today.
With the rain coming down, Kleo and I went down the road to run some errands while the shop heated back up.

I reserved the rental equipment I'll need for the base/clear coat spray day.  A large compressor and heaters.  Hope to get the HVLP gun working optimally.


An hour later the shop was still quite cold but I decided to try to spray coat #3.  The pile of paper shows all the failed experiments.  I finally got a spray pattern that seemed ok but when I sprayed it on the transom it was no good.  I tried thinning the paint way down no avail.  Just couldn't get atomization.  Had to pack up for the day.  Will have to do some extra sanding on the transom.

Also, I hope I did not damage my spray gun.  When I went to spray #3 the pressure shot up for no know reason.  The pressure at the gun got all the way to 90 before I was able to release it.  It was maxed out at the air filter regulator.  It took about 45 minutes messing with the pressure gauges to get things normalized.  I'm hoping to build a reliable system for the base/clear stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment