2/26/10

Day 79: Sanding Primer


Well, when I mentioned in my previous post that the paint wasn't going on smoothly I hadn't realized the extent of it.  I returned to the boat this morning to find orange peel city.  This thing looks like it belongs in a Florida citrus grove.

I wet sanded the entire boat with 320 and let it dry...I then realized I would be spending a lot more time sanding.  The boat is textured like a basketball.  Even with wet sanding its really bad.  I had someone come look at it in case I was just going crazy...  Unfortunately I wasn't crazy ...but will be when I am done sanding.  Its a do over.  Again.
After round one of wet sanding I filled all the micro-holes from the fairing compound with auto glaze.
The Raka Phenolic Microballoons performed very well.  Super smooth, very little holes.

Here is a typical glaze filling on the Raka fairing.
And here is a typical graze filling where the quick fair was used.  Yet again another reason why quick fair is not quick.  Ahh!

Such a novice move to switch building materials mid project.  What on earth was I thinking.  Never take boatbuilding advice from a salesman!

It took 10 minutes max to sand out the glaze over the Raka areas which covered 75% of the boat.  The other 25% was quick fair... it obviously took much longer.

To break up the sanding  glassed one side of the boatman's well cover and shaped an oar which was fun.

Today was a tough day 12.5 hours of sanding to get me to nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment