2/4/10

Day 62/63: Anti-Skid

For the past 2 days I have been putting down the anti-skid compound on the deck.  I ran out of compound today so will have to add a day to the process.  Kind of a fun process.  Though, its hard to see all that perfectly sanded deck get buried in grit!
Laying down the tape took a little time but also a fun jig-saw puzzle at the same time.  It took  about a half a roll of blue tape to do.  All that is left is to coat the stern floor and stern hatch lid.  Its tempting to lay out a star pattern in the anti-skid... we'll see.  It might look too corney.
The varnishing continues on the gunwale blocks and hand rails.  I've added the footbrace and wine rack to the list.  My last epoxy coat had a problem so I had to sand it off.  Not sure the reason.  It was the first time I used the varnish unthinned.  It looked like it had been aged in the sun.  So now I'm back to coat #3 after a backwards step.
Been trying to figure out how to wrap a cobra oarlock.  After multiple atempts and ridiculously complicated patterns, I've come up with the version on the left.  It works with this small twine... hope it works for 1/8" cord.  This design hold the line so well that I cannot get it off.  It does leave the top 1/3 of the oarlock horn unwrapped though.

Whidbey Island continues to be gorgeous.  warm temps and calm air... It feels like spring, especially as the river trips start to get planned.  Really looking forward to this season... for obvious reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment