2/20/10

Day 75: Oars


Went into Seattle to finish the oars.
My Dad has done everything on them.  Just a little final shaping to do.
We put a slight bevel on the blade.  Making it a little more wing-like.
Tom sanded all the plane marks and fine tuned the shape.
At lunch we went to a leather wholesaler to get the leather for the oar sleeves.  My Dad found a beautiful piece; a stiff 1/8"thick,  medium sized hide.  It will be plenty to form the sleeves and the oar stop.
We also tried to get the oar handles nice and round.  When the oar went on the lathe they came out a bit oval.  They are pretty circular now.
We did all this work at Seattle Stair.  They do incredible spiral staircases.  My Dad introduced me to all the talented craftsmen there.  
They're not just old-school there.  They're old-world.  The techniques have been passed down from the ages.  
...and I thought making oars were tough.
We loaded the oars up for the trip back to the island.
That night I dropped off the oars at the Whidbey shop.  I check out the   paint job while I was there.  It looks pretty good.  Will probably have to do a second coat on some of the textured areas but the rest should be good as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment