12/20/09

Day 39: Faring the Hatch Lid and Gutters


Just a half day today. Since the glass was still a bit soft I spread on the first thin coat of fairing compound on the hatch lids.

The tops, rounded edges and the front face got a coat.  The other 3 sides will probably be left alone depending on how they fit.

This is a pic of the towers we used to elevate the hatch lids off the table.

Also put some fairing compound along the hatch gutters where needed.  All the depressions from the dogs were filled, corners smoothed, gaps filled... hopefully in preparation for filleting and glassing the gutters tomorrow.

This is pic of where the stern cross hatch gutter exits. The purple putty is the fairing compound.

I chiseled the exposed wood gutter back 1/8" from the surface so that I could apply a sufficiently thick epoxy end cap.  I think it will look nicer and hopefully be more durable.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/30/2009

    Well, I see you have a link to Desolation Dory. I helped Jeremy build that sucker. Jeremy and I are both going down the Grand this March. We have 4 dories making the trip. I'm the owner of the green boat on his web site. We have done many floats together.

    I still want to know how you are dealing with the water which gets into the gutters.

    By the way what epoxy are you using? The stuff many of us use is not nasty at all. I never us a respirator other then when I am sanding.

    When you are done I would like add an image or 2 of your boat for my web site

    pimpmydory.com

    As soon as my friend Iris gets back from the grand I hope to add images of her new boat in action also.

    Larry
    lhedrick@mountaindogs.net
    dorymaster@pimpmydory.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Right on... your the pimpmydory guy. I love your site. Nice work on that! I'll definitely send you some pics when the boat it is finished. Hopefully some big water shots too. It would be an honor.

    As for the gutters, I'll take some close up shots for you tomorrow. Basically, the gutters drain directly into the boatman's foot well via a cutout where the gutter meets the vertical wall of the boatman's well. No tubes or taps. I'll post one photo I have on WBP.

    I'm so psyched for your friend Iris. She is my hero. Hope one day my boat can follow in her footsteps. But, brrr! I'm gonna want the lowdown on a december GC! Soooo tempting.

    Get back to you soon.
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm using Raka epoxy.
    P.S.S. Whats the name of your boat?
    P.S.S.S. So happy to hear about your spring Canyon trip... Gee I make a great baggage boatman. HarHar.

    ReplyDelete