12/3/09

Day 30: Spare Oar Slot, Hatch Shelf, Fairing


Today was another beautiful, cold and clear one.  The epoxy test from last night had only a soft cure.  I am hoping that it was the cold and not the ratio at fault.  I'll know tomorrow.

I put some hand pumps on the resin and the fast hardener.  I figure it will be nice to have some quick glue for the hatch construction.

I tried out the new fast epoxy a few different ways:


1.  Glued the shelf into the port side hatch.  I set it about 14" up from the bottom.  I hope it works out o kay.  Its an inch higher than other boats I've seen, though,  I think it should be fine as the front passenger seat has been raised over an inch so the spare oar slot will ride higher as well.  Hope those spare oars will stay out of the way alright!!  My fingers are crossed on that one.

2.  I drug on a coat of fairing compound on the surfaces of the front and rear passenger seats.  I had originally left them bare as I thought the non-slip compound would hide the depressions in the glass, but my Dad brought up a good point, that the difference in the fair surface and the non fair surface might show up in the look of the non-skid.  Ah, looking at this photo I realize I forgot to fair the passenger footwell floor.  grr.

3.  I glassed the inside deck surface of the spare oar slot.  It was a little hectic feeling using the fast hardener.  ...I look forward to getting the epoxy dispenser up and running.

I am hoping that everything will be well cured by tomorrow but these cold temps might have something to say about that.  Maybe I should start leaving the heat on.


4.  Also, threw some fairing compound on the glass patches which were put on to reinforce the bow/stern-eyes.  I was using the extra I had from fairing the seats.  It is a thin coat but I just wanted to soften the edges enough so that no one will shave off their knuckles on the ragged surface.


WIth the cold temps I have been worrying about the potential for the resin to continue forming into a paste in the dispenser...  Lonnie suggested a (fireproof) box and lightbulb ... Might save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment