12/2/09

Day 28 and 29: Dispenser Fix

Yesterday my Dad and I took measurements for the hatch gutters.  He's gonna rip all the pieces in a cabinet shop in town then we'll glue them up at the island shop.  The hope is that we will build (glue, fillet, glass, construct) the hatch gutters and hatch lid outside the boat to get a really good fit then set the whole unit into place.  ...Lets see what happens.


Its been beautifully clear but cold.  This is a photo of Kleo checking out the first big frost.  Her huge fur coat is finally paying off.


The cold temps may have led to the epoxy dispenser failure.  After taking apart the resin reseviour I saw the problem.  Inside the piston and spring the resin had congealed into a white paste. It looked like solidified coconut oil.  After soaking in acetone for half a day and dragging out the paste with a wire the pump was working well.  I hope the 2:1 ratio has been preserved.  I did a test run with a small batch and will find out tomorrow if it cures.




This is a pic of the piston chamber being cleaned with a wire wrapped in shop towel and dipped in acetone.  This combo worked well.



The other project for the day was to hand sand the fairing compound in the corners.  It took all day.  They look great but it was more work than I expected.  My fingers are a bit numb tonight but satisfied that a dreaded job is done.

This is the stern cross hatch.

This is the stern passenger area.


Also got the powder boards waxed.  Hope to use them soon.

I've been experimenting by using gulf wax on my skis this year.  So far, at 28degrees its been working beautifully.  I'm pretty psyched as this wax is cheap and available on the island.

I think the pros out there would freak at seeing this stuff on my 1000$ bases but I'm sold.  I do think that for the cold temps it will be way too soft but for the northwest concrete its perfect.


Well, on the island, the cold is forecasted to continue.  I hope I can keep the resin from congealing and the propane bill reasonable.  Sure don't mind the beauty of the cold clear days.

No comments:

Post a Comment