11/9/09

Day 23: Rear and Forward Seats, Boatman's Well

Today was a satisfying day. All the seats got glued...hurray!

The fillets on the boatman's well look good. Only one corner shifted a bit -1/8". I think it will be no big deal.








All the seats were glued at long last. It took half a day to get the last rear seat and front seatback in position. The gluing went fast after that.






On this seatback, I bridged a 1/4 inch gap with glue...My fingers are crossed that with the fillets in place it will be strong. Its also gonna get a substantial piece of solid wood along its length when the gutters and deck go in. Plus some support from below.






This is the rear seat with cutouts into the aft thwart. Tomorrow they will get fillets along with the front seat.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/10/2009

    Kelly, nice work on the boat! I'm just about to start my own Briggs boat as well with my dad. I am in MT and about to head to Seattle to purchase some plywood and other supplies for the project. What type of ply did you use? Gunwale material? Epoxy? Lots of questions! Thanks for any info and again great looking boat. I'm excited to get started as well!

    Corey Ryan
    skier45@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Corey,

    I'm psyched for you and your Dad. Its a really fun project.

    Ply: Meranti marine grade. 1/2" on the bottom. 1/4" sides. 3/8" thwarts.
    Gunwale: Ash
    Epoxy: Raka FX 127 & 606

    Good luck and good times on your boat!

    ReplyDelete